Saturday, August 23, 2008

Still flying

My beautiful view in the morning in New York
Passing the Lady (Statue of Liberty)
The mighty 747 landing in Minneapolis
A rare view of the awsome F-22 Raptor
I woke up in New York to a beautiful sunshiny day and opened my shades to see the.... Prison. Oh yah, I am in New York. Oh well, the next view was better. On takeoff out of New York today we would fly past the Statue of Liberty. It amazes me everytime. We flew on to Minneapolis, Detroit and Charlotte. In Minneapolis I took a picture of our mighty 747 landing. It amazes me everytime I see it. Look at the wings bending on landing. They are designed to do that it. The airplane was flying in from Narita, Japan. The flight is about 13 hours long and there are 4 pilots on board. Two fly and two sleep. They have bunk beds built in for the pilots to sleep. It weighs over 850,000 pounds. Pretty amazing something like that can even takeoff.
The last 2 pictures are of the military's newest fighter airplane called the F-22 Raptor. They were flying in long range formation across the country. They fly along like that and then refuel in the air along the way. That is how they move them over to Iraq. A giant fuel truck (Airplane) flies along next to them and extends a hose into a receptacle and fills them up and they keep flying. Pretty rare to see them so close flying by. We were at 38,000 feet and they were at 43,000 feet. Way cool.

No comments: