Thursday, April 14, 2011

Beauty and the Beast


Taking off out of Portland Oregon there are some absolutely beautiful sights. This picture is a distant picture of Mt Hood. It is 11,235 feet tall. Notice the clouds below the peak. It is cool because you can see the top sticking out above the clouds.

This is what Mt Hood looks like as we fly by. We are flying right next to the giant mountain. Very cool. It has snow on it all year around and in some places they ski in the summer.

This picture is of Mt St Helens in the front and Mt Rainier in the back. Mt Rainier is over 14,000 feet tall and Mt. St Helens is the volcano that blew up several years ago. It is only a little over 8,000 feet tall now. The entire top half of the mountain blew off and we saw ashes all the way to Cincinnati when we lived there.


Me tired of fighting the weather. This trip has been full of blizzards, bumps and thunderstorm. It is hard to see out the window in those conditions. Ready for sun!!!

Will winter ever end??? Snowing like crazy in Salt Lake.

On to Spokane Washington. It was 39 degrees but I was curious about what this was as I looked out my hotel window. So, I got a Starbucks and investigated.

Now I get it. As I walked around the corner I saw the beast and why there was a rope across the river. It was to keep boats and people from going over the falls. The falls generate electricity here in Spokane. In 1922 they built a powerplant to generate the cities electricity. It still works today.


There is a bridge that spans across the falls. You can feel the spray from the water below. It was kind of cold today though. The water turns a generator that produces electricity.


Well home tonight. Can't wait.




2 comments:

Just a "TAD" more said...

Miranda and I flew to Maine last week and had a great pilot who was talking to us all the time about what we were flying over and the temp out side ect... and I thought that if I was on one of your flights that is what it would be like. Have a peaceful time with the family.

Nicole said...

Missss youuuu like CRAZY! Hope FL is fun, you dont have a facebook so this is my way of personally telling you I miss you haha. Muah!

Love,
Cole